Richard Denney's Reviews > Frost

Mar 21, 2012

bookshelves: 2012-favorites

This is going to be on my list for best books of 2012

SPOILER FREE

I absolutely loved this book and it was unique and beautifully written. I stayed up till around 5 in the morning reading the last few chapters of this book and let me just say that this will enthrall you. It will compel you to read it and devour it. The atmosphere Kate created was beautiful yet depressing and I enjoyed every bit of it. And the creatures (Watchers) holy crap, did I love them.

Lia Weaver is our main protagonist and she's very likable. She's not a mary-sue and I think she is a strong, well put together girl for her age and I adore her. She has sacrificed her life for her family and I couldn't love her character more. Gabe (the love interest) is not thrown in your face like most love interests in YA fiction. He was gradually brought in and it took a bit for the feelings to spark and bloom. The romance was NOT the main deal in this story, so don't expect a twilight-esque I'll die for you, even though I've only known you two days type of romance. It was perfectly executed and I envy Kate, as a writer, for that.

Frost takes place in a dystopian future where there are cities and villages with their own ways of life. Lia lives in the Frost, which is a village where it snows constantly and it's cold as hell. The setting was beautiful and creepy. I loved the way the characters spoke. Forgive me, but I don't know what era they spoke like but it was close to the late 1800s. They dressed very Little House on the Prairie like and the village reminded me of it in a way. The city of Aeralis that sits just out of the village is more technology based, while in the frost they know nothing really of gadgets and big technology. It was an odd and unique tale and it had action, suspense, romance, drama, and MONSTERS!

Read it for yourself and I hope you enjoy it like I did.
Kate, I cannot wait for book 2 in the series.
You are a wonderful writer and I adored FROST.

-R.D.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Frost.

March 21, 2012 – Shelved
page 120
61.86% "Loving it."
May 2, 2012 – Finished Reading
July 27, 2012 – Shelved as: 2012-favorites

Richard Denney Jeremy wrote: "I watched your video on YouTube with this book in it. I can't wait to get my copy I can't wait to read it. its good you enjoyed it, which means I hope I do to :))) thanks Richard"

Hope you enjoy it!! :D

Richard Denney Jeremy wrote: "do you know when thorns comes out?"

Kate told me in July, but we won't know until she posts it. :)