D.K. Hundt's Reviews > Penny for Your Secrets

Penny for Your Secrets by Anna Lee Huber

bookshelves: netgalley

A Penny For Your Secrets is book three in the Verity Kent Mystery Series, having not read books one and two, yet, though I plan to, I had no trouble reading this novel as a stand-alone and felt the repetition of some details weren’t needed for me to understand the narrative, which was my only pet peeve. I do, however, really like Anna Lee Huber’s writing style. What backstory that is given, regardless of the repetition, was sufficient in enticing me to read books one and two, and I can’t wait!

The cover art is what immediately pulled my attention towards reading A Penny For Your Secrets, and the description sealed the deal for me:

‘England, 1919. In Anna Lee Huber’s latest mystery, former Secret Service agent Verity Kent is finding that life after wartime offers its own share of danger …’

I really empathized with Sidney Kent, Verity’s husband, who struggles with PTSD and survivor’s guilt (though not the main focus of the story, which is that of a murder mystery), but is an integral part of the character that I found to be heartbreaking to read:

‘The lines and hollows of his features were more pronounced in the light cast by the lamp, the weariness, and guilt that I knew still weighed on him evident in the stoop of his shoulders. It was like the shadow cast on the wall behind him, ever haunting him when awake and at rest.’

Thank you, NetGalley and Kensington Publishing Corporation, for providing me with an advance copy of A Penny For Your Secrets in exchange for an honest review.

Up Next: THIS SIDE OF MURDER (Book One), and then TREACHEROUS IS THE NIGHT (Book Two)!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Penny for Your Secrets.

September 20, 2019 – Shelved