D.K. Hundt's Reviews > A Good Neighborhood

A Good Neighborhood by Therese Anne Fowler

bookshelves: netgalley

‘Explores the effects of class, race, and heartrending love in a story that’s as provocative as it is powerful.’

A GOOD NEIGHBORHOOD was a difficult book to read but is a story that needs telling, and Therese Anne Fowler does a compelling job with such a heartbreaking and challenging narrative involving racism and young love that may never get a chance to bloom.

There was one aspect of the book that I admit I didn’t care for, and that was the intermittent ‘we’ perspective that I’m guessing was from different unidentified people in the neighborhood.

I kept wondering throughout who 'we' was, hoping it would later be revealed at some point.

To me, the additional commentary took a bit away from the impact the ending intended to have regarding the overall message in the book, when, as the reader, my eyes are wide with anticipation, my heart filled with sorrow - the knowing of how it will most likely end - and then I’m pulled out of the story by way of a bit from a horror movie that felt out of place in such a heart wrenching part of the conclusion.

Do I recommend A GOOD NEIGHBORHOOD and will I read more books from Fowler? Definitely, and I can't wait!!

Thank you, NetGalley and St. Martin’s Press, for loaning me an advance eBook of A GOOD NEIGHBORHOOD in exchange for an honest review.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Good Neighborhood.

September 20, 2019 – Shelved