The Mother Cover Lover's Reviews > Ink in the Blood

Ink in the Blood by Kim Smejkal

Let me take you back in time with me. About two years ago there was this little contest I participated in, which I'm sure some of you know. (Clears throat) Pitch Wars?! Anyways, I didn't make it, but the Author Kim Smejkal did, if I recall correctly. Funny thing is we actually swapped our first two chapters to critique each other. Kim was way ahead of me in the game then, super busy with the competition, and sadly we didn't keep up. Her first two chapters, however, always stayed tucked away in the recesses of my mind.

So when I saw this title pop up, I couldn't help but hope to read her full book baby.

My initial thoughts on INK IN THE BLOOD... have you ever been to a Cirque Du Soleil? I've been to many and INK IN THE BLOOD is a spot on dark vision of what happens when theatrical members rebel against the religious hypocrisy in this fantastical land. Take the old gypsy caravans, mix a dash of cirque, tattoos, and then a dose of written tales twisted and re-imagined.

Smejkal has done a vast amount of world building. It takes careful attention to not overlook any details, 'cause this novel relies on you the reader maintaining an understanding of those inkling rules, Profeta deceptions. Especially with the characters. Now, even though it states it's dark, which it is, we are talking dark as in situational. There's not tons of blood shedding in INK IN THE BLOOD.  Some of course. Honestly, it's probably one of the cleanest reads I've had in dark fantasy.

INK IN THE BLOOD fits perfectly into the YA/teen category, and I think many will find the change from many high octane action novels to calculated mental, counter moving, plotting strikes a welcomed change.

Overall, I enjoyed INK IN THE BLOOD and rated it 4 out of 5 stars. I am a dark fantasy, gory, high action, love kind of girl, but I do love when a novel challenges me to slow down. Pay attention. Kim Smejkal's novel INK IN THE BLOOD has done just that.

I received an ARC of INK IN THE BLOOD by Kim Smejkal in exchange for an honest review. This does not affect my opinion of the book or the content of the review.

Let’s be honest here. If it was great or sucked I have no problem writing it out. Want to check out my Book Cover Critique on Ink In The Blood? Then visit www.jenarcollins.com Aka The Mother Cover Lover.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Ink in the Blood.

Finished Reading