Cathy DuPont's Reviews > Sweet and Deadly

Sweet and Deadly by Charlaine Harris

Mar 21, 2012

did not like it
bookshelves: put-down
Recommended for: Anyone I like!
Read from March 18 to 19, 2012

In the opinion of my favorite bookseller Vanessa, Charlaine Harris is one of the most under-rated authors around today. After reading most all of her series, I tend to agree with Vanessa.

However...however, this Charlaine Harris' first book was terrible and didn't come close to her other books which I enjoyed so very much.

Wasn't very fond of the character, Catherine, at all. She was whiney, wishy-washy, and not a person I would want to hang with or even shake hands with. And it took forever to find a plot with the flipping here and there like the flies on the cover.

Don't know, but the publisher probably re-issued this book based on her successful series since this book was first published in 1981. That's all I can figure because it's certainly not up to Harris' usual standard. Just couldn't hang in there, so why waste my time?

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sweet and Deadly.

message 1: by Lynne (new)

Lynne King Yes, why waste your time Cathy...

Cathy DuPont Yes, we're on the same page, as usual.

This author is the creator of Sookie Stackhouse character, True Blood TV series. A big hit here but when that happened, it hit big, Harris stopped writing her cozy mysteries, which I loved.

Those mysteries were very clever and funny. Harris was (is) very creative with characters. They're very well-drawn. I enjoyed them particularly after a difficult read. Very light but nice mystery and easy fun read.

My favorite character, Aurora Teagarden. What a name, Roe for short.

Last I heard she's written the last of the Sookie series and I hope so because she hasn't come up with one of the 'cozies' in years.

This is more info than I'm sure you wanted but now, not going to delete it.

Life's too short to read a terrible book. Our time is valuable, as we know.

Cheers. Oh, still thinking about your review this am. You review was sooo very good and great comments followed. Nice, very nice, friend.

message 3: by Lynne (last edited May 06, 2013 01:07PM) (new)

Lynne King Yes, our time is indeed valuable.

You're too kind Cathy but thank you.

message 4: by Jim (new) - rated it 3 stars

Jim The character in this book sounds a lot like Harper Connelly of her Grave series & I hate her. I think my favorite is Lily Bard. Have you read the Shakespeare series? They're like the Aurora books, but Lily is tougher.

message 5: by Lynette (new)

Lynette Barfield I have read some of hers that were good but she isn't consistent. If I remember correctly, I felt too much romance and not enough mystery. Haven't read any of hers in quite a while. My immediate thought is "predictable".

Cathy DuPont Jim: Yes, I liked Harper ok, but my favorite was Roe. She was so neat. I remember the time she met the fellow she married and they were to go to dinner and she said, "oh, just pull into that motel!" I laughed so hard at that one.

Shakespeare series was great, too. I liked them all but Roe...didn't like as much when she married but they were still good.

Like I said, wish Harris would pick up on them, all of them. Not much, at all, into the vampire stuff.

Enjoyed Lily Bard, too. She was right behind Roe Teagarden. What a name!

Thanks for comments.

Cathy DuPont Lynette wrote: "I have read some of hers that were good but she isn't consistent. If I remember correctly, I felt too much romance and not enough mystery. Haven't read any of hers in quite a while. My immediate th..."

Yes, but Roe just stands out for me. Really liked her. More about her in my comment to Jim.

Heading out the door...so will talk soon. cd

Elaine Harper had to grow on me, I still don't love her. I can't wait for Ms Harris's new series to start which feature a Harper Connelly supporting player Manfred. They should be a blast!

message 9: by Cathy (last edited Nov 22, 2013 03:21PM) (new) - rated it 1 star

Cathy DuPont Elaine wrote: "Harper had to grow on me, I still don't love her. I can't wait for Ms Harris's new series to start which feature a Harper Connelly supporting player Manfred. They should be a blast!"

Elaine! How did I miss THAT one, the new series? I was complaining today that I miss Harper, Roe and Lily Bard but Ms. Harris is so tied up with Sookie.

Thanks for the great news! (Oh, me, too. Harper had to grow on me, too.) And thank you for commenting!

Cheers

Elaine I got an email from Amazon today to preorder it. Of course now I can't remember the title but I ordered it even tho it doesn't come out til May!

message 11: by Cathy (last edited Nov 22, 2013 03:46PM) (new) - rated it 1 star

Cathy DuPont Elaine wrote: "I got an email from Amazon today to preorder it. Of course now I can't remember the title but I ordered it even tho it doesn't come out til May!"

You're a tough one. Just what the editors like, a loyal reader. I knew nothing about it until now, thanks to you.

Must admit I almost did the same thing with Michael Connelly's new book, Mickey Haller...it's #6 in the series. So I understand completely. It's an illness.

Elaine I love Mickey Haller also!

message 13: by Cathy (new) - rated it 1 star

Cathy DuPont Elaine wrote: "I love Mickey Haller also!"

We're not going to fight over him are we?

Tell you what Elaine...I'll take Travis McGee and give you Mickey. Guess I wouldn't be a good poker player...showed my hand (Travis McGee) with my opening bid and yes, I do love Mickey. But Travis is my all time guy.

Elaine I think we can share him lol

message 15: by Cathy (new) - rated it 1 star

Cathy DuPont Elaine wrote: "I think we can share him lol"

Share who? Not Travis, I hope. I'll share Mickey I'm pouting if I have to. I'm older, so don't I get firsties choice? Ah, Elaine, pleazzzz?

Elaine Deal! Lol

message 17: by Cathy (new) - rated it 1 star

Cathy DuPont Elaine wrote: "Deal! Lol"

Yeah! You're the best; respecting your elders. A big thanks.

Elaine I couldn't finish Sweat and Deadly. I tried but I just couldn't get into it. Sorry Charlaine Harris!

message 19: by Cathy (last edited Nov 30, 2013 03:50AM) (new) - rated it 1 star

Cathy DuPont Elaine wrote: "I couldn't finish Sweat and Deadly. I tried but I just couldn't get into it. Sorry Charlaine Harris!"

Hi Elaine...hope you noticed that I'm with you on this one...I put it down, too. I think it's the only one of hers that I did put down. (Maybe. I think. perhaps.)