Abby's Reviews > The Ghost Stories of Edith Wharton

The Ghost Stories of Edith Wharton by Edith Wharton

19929606

bookshelves: gothic-dark, horror, magical-realism, short-stories, thriller

I love ghost stories, especially those that border on the gothic. What I consider to be a good ghost story is when the writer takes the mundane and colors it with tiny traces of the supernatural, just enough to make the reader feel uneasy. Edith Wharton is among such writers, writing with such frankness as to lull the reader into a false sense of security. She even seems to add a sort of game for her readers. Going into each of her stories I knew there would be a ghost somewhere, but the fun and mystery is to speculate who the ghost is going to be and where. It could be the old gardener, a woman who died in the house long ago, it could even be the master of the house! After that it's just a matter of how we the readers and the protagonists of each story choose to deal with the ghost presented to them.

I recommend this book to all who are ready for the spookiest season of the year, and who want some fun and games with the supernatural.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Ghost Stories of Edith Wharton.

Started Reading