Christine~justlovemybooks.com blog~'s Reviews > Once Upon a Cowboy Christmas

Once Upon a Cowboy Christmas by Soraya M. Lane

bookshelves: arcs, christmas

It's never too early to start reading Christmas Romances, especially when there are so many and the holiday season isn't long enough to read all the ones I want. When I read the synopsis for Once Upon A Cowboy, I was excited. Two of my favorites things are Christmas and cowboys. That said, this book had the potential to be a five star rating from me. But unfortunately, the hero was a bit too full of himself for me to love. By the end of the book I did like him, however I didn't love him and that was a bit disappointing.

Cody moved on from the family ranch right after high school and didn't look back unless you count the few and far between times he came to visit. He believed he had good reasons which I will not divulge to you because you should read that on your own. I will say that while I understood his reasons for staying away, I didn't feel they were the huge drama he made them out to be. But that is just my own opinion, and one of the reasons I couldn't fall in love with Cody. Also, I didn't feel the connection between him and Lexi. Lexi, I loved. And on her behalf, I was frustrated with Cody. Look, I don't want to downplay his way of thinking too much just because I couldn't connect with him. But I can say that his situation was one that I know personally; it never would have even occurred to me to leave the way he did or stay away so long.

The synopsis for this book gives you good insight into the premise of this story so I won't need to summarize it. You must be wondering why I gave this book four stars after reading how I didn't like Cody. Well the answer to that is easy. The secondary characters and Lexi are who brought me entertainment and kept me turning pages. I especially adored Cody's dad. He was such a wonderful addition to this story which takes place the week leading up to Christmas.

Cody and Lexi's story is the third book in the River Ranch series. I have not read the previous books yet. Because I truly liked Cody's younger brother and sister, I would like to read their books as well. In addition, there is the oldest sibling, Angelica, still to have her great love story told.

While this was my first book by this author, I would like to read more from her. Even though I wasn't a fan of Cody, I enjoyed the author's talent for storytelling; she kept me engaged in the story and that is all I need.

This is my honest and unbiased review. Thank you for taking the time to read it. :)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Once Upon a Cowboy Christmas.

September 19, 2019 – Started Reading