Nicole Hewitt's Reviews > Sulwe

Sulwe by Lupita Nyong’o

bookshelves: fiction-addiction-read

This review and many more can be found on my blog: Feed Your Fiction Addiction

This book is stunning in just about every way imaginable. The story follows little Sulwe, who struggles to see her own beauty because of the darkness of her skin. Sulwe wishes she could look more like her parents, more like her sister, more like the other boys and girls at her school. Like most children, she doesn't want to feel different---and her dark skin doesn't make her feel special or unique, no matter what her mother might tell her. It takes a beautiful fable about day and night to make her see how she brings beauty to the world. As a reader, your heart goes out to Sulwe, and it soars with hers as she discovers her true worth.

The depth and detail of every illustration in this book is incredible. I'm amazed at how well Vashti Harrison was able to use such a lush and extensive palette when many of the images are (necessarily) dark; in fact, the darker images were my favorites---I so appreciated the subtlety of the details. The illustrations of Sulwe's trip into the stars and the fable of day and night truly took my breath away.

This story is both important and utterly beautiful; what a wonderful combination!!

***Disclosure: I received this book from the publisher in exchange for an honest review. No other compensation was given and all opinions are my own.***

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sulwe.

Finished Reading