Cheri's Reviews > The Handmaid's Tale

The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood

1994963

bookshelves: 2019-reads, classic, dystopian, reread
Read 2 times. Last read September 18, 2019 to October 1, 2019.

I finished this a few weeks ago (for the second time) but haven't been feeling very sociable so haven't bothered with posting a review...

I loved my second read even more than the first. I wanted to see how having seen the Hulu series affected my impression of the book. I don't think it changed much about how I felt. The biggest difference was probably having the actor's likenesses in my head instead of whatever I had come up with before. I think the show was incredibly well done and didn't make me feel that one or the other is the only way to experience it. Unlike two TV adaptations of favorites ruined by Starz...

One of my favorite parts of the book is the scholarly talks given after the main book is over. I love how Atwood uses historical and sociological research to give the reader even more information. Brilliant.

I have no doubt that I'll read this book again and continue to recommend it to everyone.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Handmaid's Tale.

November 2, 2016 – Shelved (Audible Audio Edition)
November 29, 2016 – Started Reading (Audible Audio Edition)
November 29, 2016 –
10.0% "I'm thinking this is a bit more disturbing for me than it would have been just a few months ago since it feels like it could be a possible future at this point." (Audible Audio Edition)
November 29, 2016 –
25.0% "I'm totally getting into this book. The emotional bits sort of sneak in and hit me. At the same time, I feel horrified at the similarities with our current anti-religious freedom/anti-intellectual/anti-woman environment and how the folks in the book got to where they are." (Audible Audio Edition)
December 7, 2016 –
55.0% "I took a short break but am very much back into the story. The society that Offred lives in is hits way too close to home. It feels like a warning. An incredibly well-written, well-narrated warning." (Audible Audio Edition)
December 8, 2016 – Finished Reading (Audible Audio Edition)
September 18, 2019 – Started Reading
September 18, 2019 – Shelved
September 18, 2019 –
page 9
2.62% "I started The Testaments but decided to reread The Handmaid's Tale first. I need to separate the book from the show..."
October 1, 2019 – Finished Reading