Michael's Reviews > This World We Live In

This World We Live In by Susan Beth Pfeffer

Mar 21, 2012

Read from March 21 to April 02, 2012

This is the third in a series of young adult catastrophe novels. The moon, struck by an asteroid, has been knocked closer to the earth, setting off tidal waves, earthquakes, volcanoes, and--worst of all--a sort of nuclear winter because of all the ash and debris in the air. The world, in other words, is slowing coming to an end. The first book in the series, Life As We Knew It, is written in the form of a diary. The narrator is a teenage girl named Miranda who lives with her family in rural Pennsylvania, and who writes about her experiences as the wheels begin to come off of our civilization. The second book, The Dead and the Gone, allows the reader to view the same cataclysm through the eyes of 17 year old Alex Morales who, along with his three younger sisters, is trapped in New York City. For what it's worth, I thought The Dead and the Gone made The Hunger Games seem like The Wind in the Willows, but that's just my opinion.

In this third volume, Miranda and Alex meet as (if you can imagine!) things get even worse for all of the various characters. I like an author who is willing to kill off main characters; it makes the narrative both authentic and realistic. These books are quite disturbing, and I once again question how stories like this are 'young adult' at all. Seems like a marketing gimmick to me. I would not recommend this series for immature readers, nor would I suggest them to anyone who like happy endings. Or happy middles. Or happy beginnings.

"Bleak" just does not cover it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read This World We Live In.