Amanda's Reviews > The Lost Girl

F 50x66
Mar 21, 2012

bookshelves: 2012-releases
Read from August 15 to 16, 2012

In The Lost Girl, young Eva's life is not her own. She is not a normal human, she's just a copy, an echo, an "other" -a complete copy of another person created by the Weavers in order to replace a young girl named Amarra if she were ever die. As Eva studies Amarra's life, her likes and dislikes, her personality, her relationships -she finds that she's not as much like Amarra as she should be, though she may look the same. And when Amarra dies, Eva must take her place.

The Lost Girl has some of the strongest and most chilling writing I've come across this year. So much of this novel is infused with powerful metaphysical questions and vivid, crisp writing that pulls the reader into Eva's head. And as I dug deeper and deeper into this story -and into Eva's head -it was fascinating to see how different and free will she compared with what she was supposed to be. As I was pulled into Eva's story I became more compelled by the overarching plot and the ideas being discussed here.

While I enjoyed Lost Girl overall, I felt like some of the questions and themes brought up at the beginning didn't really stick. They started out with promise, but didn't hold up over time. Though some of the questions about identity did move forward, it did bother me that Lost Girl was a little too focused on the romance by my tastes. For a good portion of the book, the story basically came down to: "can I love who I want or does it need to be the same as Amarra?" While this is a plausible and interesting dilemma, I would have liked to have seem more going on.

Though Lost Girl has some great ideas and an interesting premise, I feel like it was a little lacking at the end and that it didn't quite meet up to its potential.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Lost Girl.

Kate Bond I agree. Too many unanswered questions.