BecSoBookish's Reviews > Imaginary Friend

Imaginary Friend by Stephen Chbosky

liked it
bookshelves: arcs

I'm not typically a horror reader, so I wanted to read this purely based on Chbosky's name recognition. This book grabbed me and sucked me in immediately, and I read the 720 page tome in record time. I needed to know what was happening to these characters. I was invested in the protagonist Christopher and his mother, and I enjoyed exploring the various characters in the town. I sped through the first 75% of this book, which is around the time Chbosky drops the most significant plot twist. There were some hints dropped here and there about what was coming, but I was hoping that I was wrong and Chbosky was going to surprise me. Religious themes were present throughout the book, but I was still surprised when Chbosky chose to lean completely on the Heaven vs Hell trope. After this point, I was far less interested, and I found myself speed reading the rest of the book. When Chbosky revealed what was going on in the town, he over-explained it, and then the horror element was lost, and the book started to feel too much like Christian fiction. The ending dragged on for too long. It could have easily been pared down to fifty pages instead of two hundred. Overall, it was a solid read, despite the disappointing ending.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Imaginary Friend.

September 17, 2019 – Shelved