Abigail Harris's Reviews > The Runaway Bride

The Runaway Bride by Jody Hedlund

72092521

I loved the first book, A Reluctant Bride.

When starting a new book series from a favorite author it is easy to wonder if it will be as good as their former works, if it will be their new best, or even if it will be their all-time worse. Thankfully, I was quite pleased with The Runaway Bride, it is superbish.

Pete, goodness, Pete! I knew from the blurb that Arabella would end up with Pete, it was somewhat obvious, ending with the question, "Will she have the wisdom to make the right decision, or will seeking what's right cost both her and Peter everything." Easy enough to see that they are the couple in The Runaway Bride.
At first, I wasn't sure what to think about Pete, he's a bit insufferable, arrogant, full of himself, and yet that's all a way to cover his tender side.
At first, it felt like he only liked Arabella for her looks, it felt almost like it was only lust ... Until I read when they were together and I started to like them as a couple, which was what the author wanted as she led in the other man competing for Arabella's hand in marriage, Lieutenant Drummond, and may I say that I didn't like him even from the start?

The poor Indian got that Arabella tried to help was so sad, and sweet at the same time.

Arabella, I liked her from the start. The fact that she was a runaway bride surely came to light, the man she refused to marry was horrendous, slight spoiler but if you read this you should be warned that she has scars from him where he beat her, bit her, and hit her. So, just a warning.

Yet, Arabella is still a strong character that I enjoyed reading about, and the way she cared for those that came under her care was so sweet. I loved her and Pete's banter, jokes, and Pete's way of assuming that he would win her.

The ending was oh so sweet and even if I hadn't liked the rest of the book the last chapter was worth it, but, I had one problem and that was the fact that so many times it felt like the main characters drifted toward lust and not real love.

I voluntarily reviewed a complimentary copy of this book which I received from the author. All views expressed are only my honest opinion.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Runaway Bride.

September 17, 2019 – Shelved