Sophie's Reviews > Legend

Legend by Marie Lu

"Each day means a new twenty-four hours. Each day means everything's possible again. You live in the moment, you die in the moment, you take it all one day at a time." He looks toward the railway car's open door, where streaks of dark water blanket the world. "You try to walk in the light."

While Legend is one of the better books of the YA dystopian market, it doesn't really introduce anything new to the genre. Sure, it has intense action sequences and two kickass main characters. But they're lacking something. I felt removed from the book as I was reading it, probably because everything seemed too simple. The characters, Day and June, were pretty two-dimensional, driven by the same old impulses to protect family. Not that I'm saying dystopian characters should ditch their families and shoot up on drugs in the streets, but as someone who likes reading so many books, things get old pretty fast. However, props to Lu for writing some awesome action. There are oodles of punching, shooting, slapping around with gun handles, and even some biting(!!!). The plot is relatively simplistic, and you can guess a lot of what will happen.

This is going to sound extremely weird, but I respect Lu's integration of death in her book. She manages to make the deaths in the book meaningful, and I'm so glad she doesn't engineer a bloodbath in the end. Despite the detachment I felt from Day and June, I did develop an affection for their family members.

Regarding the "love" in this book, I honestly feel that it happened way too fast. One minute June and Day are distrusting each other, and the next they're kissing each other. It just felt extremely unrealistic, given that Day was supposed to have street smarts. I would have expected him to be a little slow about trusting June, but he was remarkably naive about it. Legend, I think, is more a setup for the next two books. I learned about the world that June and Day live in, met some of the characters, got to see some blood fly. But in the end, I didn't take much from it. There's no great message, and the book never really engaged me completely. Otherwise, it's decent. I'll definitely be reading Prodigy.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Legend.

March 20, 2012 – Shelved
June 5, 2012 – Started Reading
June 5, 2012 –
page 2
0.66% "WHOA. This font. \n \n Oh, and Day seems pretty badass right now."
June 8, 2012 –
page 150
49.18% "Oh, Day. You poor, naive boy."
June 8, 2012 –
page 158
51.8% "NOOOOOOOOOOOO I don't even know her, but NOOOOOOOOOO"
June 9, 2012 – Shelved as: bad-case-of-insta-love
June 9, 2012 – Shelved as: badass-main-character
June 9, 2012 – Shelved as: oh-no-the-world-is-ending
June 9, 2012 – Shelved as: don-t-love-don-t-hate
June 9, 2012 – Shelved as: lacking-something-crucial
June 9, 2012 – Finished Reading

Esther ^Pretty much my thoughts exactly XD

Sabah I found the book good, but your right about the "love". It was all physical and nothing to do with who they are.

Caitlin The line you quoted was probably my least favorite part of the book. Trying so hard to be deep that it was cheesy.