Jennifer (JC-S)'s Reviews > Fake: A startling true story of love in a world of liars, cheats, narcissists, fantasists and phonies

Fake by Stephanie  Wood

bookshelves: australian-womens-writers-challenge, australian-author, librarybooks

‘The power of sharing a personal story.’

I finished this book, full of admiration for Stephanie Wood having the courage to write it. It cannot have been easy.

I have been fortunate, but I know others (both men and women) who have suffered at the hands of those able to construct plausible worlds in which they portray themselves (often) as the victims of others, while milking their (new) victims financially and emotionally dry.

What Ms Wood gives us is both her personal story and, using her investigative skills, some insights into a much wider problem. There are signs to look for, patterns of behaviour to be aware of – both in the victim and the manipulator. An online dating match may have been the start of Ms Wood’s nightmare, but it is not the only way into this particular hell.

‘We all have a sense of self – a personality and patterns of behaviour – but at issue is how well they work for us.’

Worth reading.

Jennifer Cameron-Smith

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Fake.

September 16, 2019 – Started Reading