Jen's Reviews > Heir Apparent

Heir Apparent by Vivian Vande Velde

Mar 20, 2012

it was ok
bookshelves: clcsc-pasadena-book-group, fiction, kindle, middle-school, ya
Read in May, 2012

For her fourteenth birthday, Giannine receives a gift certificate from her absent dad to Rasmussem Games, the virtual reality gaming center. If Giannine knew what was in store for her, though she may have asked for socks instead.
As Giannine arrives at the gaming center, she passes by the protesters outside, thinking nothing of it. She chooses which game she wants to play – Heir Apparent – based on the cute guys and the dragons she sees in the game trailer. She plugs in and begins playing the game. It’s a typical game. She’s got thirty minutes to play and have fun. And then, suddenly, it’s not so simple. The protestors have damaged Rasmussem, and now Giannine is playing for her life. Because if she doesn’t finish Heir Apparent - find the ring, ward off barbarians, make alliances, deal with a dragon and gain the crown, she’ll lose more than just the game. She’ll lose her life.

________________________
I really enjoyed parts of the story, and ideas within, but for some reason that didn't add up to me liking the story as a whole. I liked the gaming world that was created, and the way that Giannine had to start over each time she "died" in the game, but I just didn't really feel that much of a connection to parts of the story. I didn't dislike the book, but I was just sort of okay with it.

Would I recommend it though to kids? Totally.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Heir Apparent.