Lien's Reviews > The Stopover

The Stopover by T.L. Swan

bookshelves: arc, dnf, reviewed

Sooo this is awkward... @Jade Violet if you see this, please just ignore it. I feel really bad because I’ve read your review and saw you shelving the hell out of this book ;)

DNF at 39%

Totally me, not you!

- This back and forth/hot and cold/push and pull was driving me nuts! And yes, all three synonyms are necessary here because IT. JUST. WOULDN'T. STOP! (view spoiler)

Then there was T.L. Swan’s writing style that overshadowed my enjoyment of the book. (Don't read this part if you still want to read the book. It could hinder your fun as well because there may be chances that once pointed out, you'll unintentionally notice too. This is entirely subjective.)

- Why was she frowning so much?? Frowning is not an attractive look. I searched it on my kindle and "frown" appears 241 times! Is that normal? I mean the book is 521 pages long and to be fair it wasn't just her who was frowning.
I've read "Mr. Masters" and apparently that word was used a lot in there too. 236x to be exact and I never had a problem with it but it bothered me so much in this one.
- Another thing that got on my nerves somehow; Emily was constantly asking questions. Like, repetitive questions? "Why is that? What does that mean? How do you know? What? Why?"

"I want you to fuck yourself. Long… deep and slow." Oh… Lord have mercy. "Why would I do that?" I breathe.

"[...] What you told us this morning all but confirms it." I frown. "How do you know?"

"We have no idea, but we know it’s not you."
"How do you know that?"

It’s like when people are fishing for compliments or something. It annoyed the hell out of me. I don't know how else to describe it but there were a loooot of questions overall. It was disruptive to my flow of reading because every other sentence was a question and the voice in my head would tilt up each time. Ok, I'm starting to nitpick. Guess I was overly sensitive while reading this book that's why I'm going to throw in the towel and leave this unrated.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Stopover.

September 16, 2019 – Shelved
September 16, 2019 – Shelved as: arc
September 18, 2019 – Shelved as: dnf
October 25, 2019 – Shelved as: reviewed

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)

❤️ Paulette  Alphas Review ↪Happy reading L💕ve ↩

message 2: by Lien (new) - added it

Lien ❤️ Paulette Alphas Review wrote: "↪Happy reading L💕ve ↩"

❤️ Paulette  Alphas Review Lien wrote: "❤️ Paulette Alphas Review wrote: "↪Happy reading L💕ve ↩"

Much appreciated Lienツ

Jade Violet Oh man, sorry Lien, I feel so bad that it didn't work out. I loved and you DNF'ed. Don't feel awkward - it just proves reading is completely subjective. I can have a preference for blondes, you can go for brunettes. No biggie. Just sorry you didn't have a gratifying reading experience. xoxoxo!

Jade Violet P.S. - I'm still giving a like to your review because you had your own opinion and own argument. And that's completely valid!

message 6: by Lien (new) - added it

Lien Jade wrote: "P.S. - I'm still giving a like to your review because you had your own opinion and own argument. And that's completely valid!"

Jade wrote: "Oh man, sorry Lien, I feel so bad that it didn't work out. I loved and you DNF'ed. Don't feel awkward - it just proves reading is completely subjective. I can have a preference for blondes, you can..."

Thank you for your kind words, Jade :) that's the reason why I gave your review a like as well! I was stoked that you liked it so much because 10 stars? That's not something I see very often ;) I'm just sorry that you seeing this might have dampened your mood or something because sometimes a bad review of a beloved book of mine makes me a little sad lol but I still respect it though. As you said reading is completely subjective <3

Jade Violet Lien wrote: "Jade wrote: "P.S. - I'm still giving a like to your review because you had your own opinion and own argument. And that's completely valid!"

Jade wrote: "Oh man, sorry Lien, I feel so bad that it d..."

The opposite sweets, only thing that I regret is you didn't enjoy something you took the time to explore - Catholic guilt ingrained here!