Jena Henry's Reviews > Four Christmases and a Secret

Four Christmases and a Secret by Zara Stoneley

Zara Stoneley has written some bestsellers. And now in time for the holidays, we have the joy of her latest book, Four Christmases and a Secret. According to her About the Author pages at the end of this book, Ms. Stoneley tells us that she writes about “friendships, dreams, love and happy ever after. She hopes her tales make us laugh a lot, cry a little, and occasionally say ‘ahh!’” As booklovers, aren’t those exactly the treats we like to find in Christmas books?

Four Christmases presents three characters that you will love. (Four as we should also count Stanley the dog.) Daisy lives in a lovely U.K. village. She has a warm family, and her best friend is Ollie. Ollie’s family is friends with Daisy’s family and everyone loves Ollie’s Uncle Terence. As children, Daisy and Ollie competed all the time, and specially at school. Ollie was going to be a doctor and Daisy was eager to be a vet.

But when they meet up at Uncle Terence’s annual Christmas party at his charming book store thirteen years after Ollie and Daisy parted at the end of school, things have changed. Ollie has become a successful doctor and is quite grown up and handsome. Daisy is not the shining star she had hoped to be. She is lost and subdued.

The title of this book promises us four Christmases AND a secret. You will enjoy reading about all four Christmas parties that take place in Uncle Terence’s book store. The decorations and holiday foods are wonderful and there is always something funny and surprising happening. Each year we see how Daisy and Ollie have changed. And what about the secret? Turns out there are several secrets that will move you to tears and then shaky smiles.

I loved seeing how Daisy learns from Uncle Terence that she must seize the opportunities she has and do something with her life. She starts believing that she can succeed at life. She learns who her friends are and who really loves her. Daisy is warm-hearted with a friendly and funny way. I enjoyed reading about her and seeing how she grows and learns from her comical escapades. There is a bit too much dialogue and Daisy’s inner thoughts for me which slows the story down but there is also plenty of depth and insight, too. Enjoy this lovely holiday book.

Thanks to NetGalley and Harper Impulse for a digital review copy. This is my honest review.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Four Christmases and a Secret.

Finished Reading