Meg Kimball's Reviews > Making Sense of Psychiatric Diagnosis: Understanding the DSM-5

Making Sense of Psychiatric Diagnosis by Ashley L. Peterson

This book is amazing. I'm somewhat biased as one of its contributors, but taking my contributions out of the equation and just looking at the rest of the book, it's still amazing. (view spoiler) The author has managed to find people with all manners of mental illnesses to share their experiences with being diagnosed, experiencing stigma, dealing with treatment, and coming to terms with the illness. Reading the different narrations inside this book is like peeking into the minds of different experiences you'd never see into otherwise. I've read most of the contributions so far, and every time, there are unique aspects of the person's experience and common aspects that all of us can intuit on some level.

The book is also very well arranged and segmented into different diagnoses sections as per the DSM-5. I highly recommend this book for anyone who's studying psychology in college, or for anyone who's mentally ill or has a mentally ill friend or family member; but even beyond that, even if you don't have a mental illness or know someone who does, the stories in this book will open your mind to what it's like for those of us who wrestle with it every day.

My favorite thing is that this book is partly factual with the great explanations of DSM-5 diagnoses, but it's also personal and relevant to real life. If I were a psych student in college, I'd want to read this. Because it's not just dull facts--it's the people behind the facts, the faces and voices behind the diagnoses. I'm hoping this book will wind up in college bookstores soon!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Making Sense of Psychiatric Diagnosis.

Finished Reading
September 16, 2019 – Shelved

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)

Ashley Peterson Thank you so much for the review!

message 2: by Meg (new) - rated it 5 stars

Meg Kimball You're welcome! We need more books like this one!!