Emily Wrayburn's Reviews > Doctor Who: Scratchman

Doctor Who by Tom Baker

liked it
bookshelves: audio-book, doctor-who

I'm still not 100% sure how the Doctor defeated Scratch in the end...

And this sort of felt like two different stories - the scarecrows on an isolated Scottish island, and then the stuff in Scratch's alternate universe... I think the scarecrow plot really needed to just be an introduction, rather than practically a whole adventure on its own.

There was also the issue of this being in first person from the Doctor's POV, but him being able to describe what Sarah and Harry were doing when he wasn't with them, due to an apparent omnipotenence that only seems to work when it's convenient?

And the cuts to the Doctor recounting this story to the Time Lords slowed the story down every time.

Still, there was definitely some fun stuff, like the pinball/chess battles. And moths defeating cursed scarecrows did feel nicely Classic Who. And the bits with the fake scarecrow versions of the first three Doctors, plus the epilogue, which I won't spoil.

And of course, Tom Baker doing the narration himself. That was fun.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Doctor Who.

August 31, 2019 – Started Reading
September 16, 2019 – Shelved
September 24, 2019 –
62.0% "Cutting back to the Time Lords slows down the plot every time it happens. I just want to know what's next, not a Gallifreyan argument."
September 29, 2019 – Shelved as: audio-book