Tarjei Vågstøl's Reviews > 'Broadsword Calling Danny Boy': On Where Eagles Dare

'Broadsword Calling Danny Boy' by Geoff Dyer

M 50x66

liked it
bookshelves: essay

Like Dyer, I love Where Eagles Dare. I've watched it five og six times, and, like Dyer, I could retell it scene-by-scene. That's exactly what this short essay is: A complete retelling of the movie, with observations and jokes thrown in. Thus, it serves to strengthen, but not explain, the initial enigma: Why do we love this movie?

In a sad kind of way, the jokes seems to mimic the flaws of the movie: The movie is a collection of over-used tropes, and the jokes and observations are in a way obvious (bottomless backpacks, the one-dimentional acting of Burton/Eastwood, the outright silly plot twists*). The suggestion that Mary Ure is a author/director in the movie was a bit interesting, however. I appreciate that Dyer is as bored by action scenes and explosions as I am.

* Plot twists are, as a rule, like explosions in action movies or the clipping in slasher-movies: Cheap tricks. They give you the enjoyment of seeing the preceding events in an entirely new way, without having to do (ie, read, notice) anything.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read 'Broadsword Calling Danny Boy'.

September 14, 2019 – Started Reading