Nilufer Ozmekik's Reviews > The Testaments

The Testaments by Margaret Atwood

it was ok

Only two stars for the love of Aunt Lydia! If she wasn’t in this book, I could do something first by giving minus five stars to a book! See how I disliked and how I felt frustrated about this hope stealing, time wasting, one of the biggest failures of the year!!!! One of the tasteless testament you could ever have!

2019 could be one of this year I got really disappointed by movies, series books. They were like several ugly stabs to your stomach. I was unlucky to read Cari Mora ( After 13 years of waiting patiently Thomas Harris released this…hmm…itshouldnotbenamed, yes this is worse than Voldemort!), Mister( My bad, I shouldn’t pick this one! The joke is on me!), several romance books released by Jewel E. Ann, Karina Halle, K. A. Tucker, Renee Carlino etc. I watched GOT’s final and started to fantasize how to punch the screenwriters who are also series-killers (worse occupation than being serial killer) in 101 different ways!
And now I’m holding a book which is the worst betrayal to the memory of Handmaid’s Tale, one of the best dystopian books that have ever been written.

I didn’t understand the writer’s motive stick to the characters of their previous works. Did I want to know what happened to June? Never, I just wanted to move on and get rid of terrifying, penetrating, mind numbing affect to book left on me.

And here we are with 3 different POVs- Aunt Lydia(If it wasn’t for her, I wouldn’t add two more stars, but at least her parts kept me reading more because too many times I wanted to drop it and added to my DNF and HNITF-have no intention to finish- list) and two teenage girls ( one from Canada and one from Gilead). I really think, on those teenagers’ narration parts, the author stopped writing and summoned her interns who returned back from getting her clothes from dry-cleaner and her coffee orders and made them take her seat and write all those parts as she had a meeting with Hulu for the future episodes of Handmaid’s Tale.

And twisty part about teenagers, oh please you don’t need to have spider senses to foresee it, even my ten years old nephew caught the surprise when I told him some specifics about the book. (I’m good with kids and their intellectual evaluation)

What about the details of Gilead? Still senseless, illogical and more irritating than before. True believers supporting the system work properly. But I just wanted to learn something new, different, exploring something astonishing, shocking and more provoking. But no…nada…

Now I’m sulking, fists clenched but this time as a big change I don’t want to punch any characters, I think the creator of them more deserved my slaps. I already sent my bill to the publishers for wasting my priceless time for nothing.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Testaments.

Finished Reading
September 15, 2019 – Shelved
September 15, 2019 – Shelved as: to-read

Comments Showing 1-43 of 43 (43 new)

preoccupiedbybooks I'm yet to read the handmaid's tale, so I might just pretend that this one doesn't exist?!

Nilufer Ozmekik Great call book-twin! Please do and ignore this one forever for your own intellectual good😊

message 3: by Ceecee (new)

Ceecee I loved Handmaids Tale but I honestly don’t think she needed to write this book. Do you think the success of the TV adaptation kind of forced her hand?? I’m not going to read it - was waiting to see what you thought.

Joanna Smith It was truly terrible 😭

message 5: by Kevin (new)

Kevin Ansbro An excellent, honest review, Nilufer.
Your thoughts echo many I've seen.

Nilufer Ozmekik Thank you Joanna, it was a big disappointment for me,too☹️

Nilufer Ozmekik Thank you Kevin, it’s good to know I’m not the only one disliking this book so much and I wish she may work on new story😞😞

message 8: by Javelyn (new) - added it

Javelyn Yes I heard it was a disaster by most friends and fellow reviewers. I still want to read it however and the handmaids tale as they have been talked about a lot. Sorry to hear your time was wasted. Good review.

Nilufer Ozmekik Thank you Javelyn. The serious became huge hit and but in my opinion,a new sequel wasn’t required to be released! Anyways fingers crossed for next ones😊

message 10: by Colca (new) - added it

Colca I was actually looking forward to reading this book, but the review will make it really hard to get into. So far it was quite nice to imagine all the different endings foe June...

Nilufer Ozmekik I couldn’t agree more and everyone has right to imagine their different endings about June! Some of the reviewers may still enjoy this book but unfortunately I didn’t work for me😔😔

message 12: by Javelyn (new) - added it

Javelyn Yeah I agree, but I heard that readers had requested a sequel. Hence why. But yes fingers crossed.

Nilufer Ozmekik Absolutely Javelyn, but sometimes it’s better not to hear readers’ wishes and do the right thing like writing a book about something different😊 Let’s keep hopes up for next book🙏🏻😊

message 14: by Javelyn (new) - added it

Javelyn I agree, you don’t always have to listen. Yes absolutely.

BookwormishMe I’m so sad to hear this one pretty much sucked. Sometimes there shouldn’t be a sequel.

message 16: by Marialyce (new)

Marialyce One I plan to skip.

Nilufer Ozmekik Good choice Marialyce 👍🏻

Nilufer Ozmekik I couldn’t agree more Bookwormishme😊

Felicia I love this review, Nilufer 💖

Nilufer Ozmekik Felicia wrote: "I love this review, Nilufer 💖"
Thank you dear Felicia, I wish I could love this book but well, we don't always choose the winner ones :)

Valerie Smith I am part way through, and really struggling, so thought I would check out the reviews. Gosh I so agree, I would gladly pay someone to finish it for me and just tell me what happens!

Nilufer Ozmekik You’re more brilliant than me Valerie! I should have thought the same. At least I haven’t wasted my time and been frustrated so much. This book is this year’s one of the big disappointments for me😞😞

message 23: by Linda (new)

Linda I read over 100 pages and returne dit for a refund. It was a disappointment to me. Think maybe my expectations were to high. I didn’t care what happened or how it ended.

Nilufer Ozmekik I definitely felt the same. Maybe all of us should start a movement for refund by wearing Handmaid Tale’s theme costumes and march towards the publishers’ building. You have every right for not finishing it. It’s best decision Linda😞😞

message 25: by Nils (new) - rated it 2 stars

Nils I feel this review so hard! 2019 was not a good year for media. And your feelings about the book are on point. My bf also read Cara Mori and was stunned by how bad it was.

Nilufer Ozmekik Well this is hard one and I wish we get a better sequel or no sequel! But as far as I read some of 2020 books( thanks to NetGalley) it makes me more hopeful about next year!😊

Stephen Thank you for this review. No idea why the book has 4.33!

Nilufer Ozmekik Highly agreed Stephen😊

Cindy H. Wow! And here I was thinking I was all alone in the disappointment corner.

Nilufer Ozmekik Definitely you are not Cindy. This is unfortunately one of the most disappointing reads of the year for me😞😞😞

message 31: by Dorothy (new)

Dorothy Interesting take on the book. I have it in my reading queue but it'll be a while before I get to it.

Nilufer Ozmekik I know some readers still love the sequel and excited to meet with new characters but unfortunately this book didn’t work with my expectations Dorothy😞😞

message 33: by Peter (new)

Peter Excellent review, Nilufer and it's a book that seems to be generating opposite opinions. :):)

Nilufer Ozmekik So true Peter😊But I still think we didn’t need a sequel! Well at least some of us loved it.😊

message 35: by Kat (new)

Kat Valentine Fabulously reviewed Nilufer! Sorry it wasn't a better read!💋😉💓👍

Bouch The Bookworm Great review - I agree I was very dissatisfied with this.

Nilufer Ozmekik I wish she never wrote this sequel and save us from those hurtful, displeased feelings😞😞😞

message 38: by alya Qabeel (new) - added it

alya Qabeel It’s good that I decided to not read the first book for this one 😫

message 39: by Ceecee (new)

Ceecee Meant to message you yesterday. Can you believe it was joint winner of the Booker????

Nilufer Ozmekik Great choice Alya🤗

Nilufer Ozmekik As soon as I read, I started to scream Ceecee! It’s unbelievable 🥵I didn’t read Bernardine Evaristo’s book,too. But I can truly say these choices are not fair for the other candidates( especially Rushdie and Obioma)! So popularism always wins even though you released a worst version of literature😞😞😞

message 42: by Judy (new)

Judy Great review Nilufer! Now I'm not sure I even want to bother reading this one. I loved The Handmaid's Tale and really don't want to be so disappointed.

Nilufer Ozmekik So true Judy. I wish I didn’t read this one because Handmaid’s Tale is still one of my favorite books and I think it deserved better sequel ( or no sequel at all!)😞😞😞