Jim's Reviews > The Summer Tree

The Summer Tree by Guy Gavriel Kay

This is the first book in the Fionavar Tapestry trilogy, a "portal fantasy" about five Toronto University students taken to a magical fantasy realm. There they are sweet up in a war of dark and light, cavort with gods and goddesses, and plumb both the depths and heights of life and loss.

Guy Gavriel Kay established his name as a fantasy author with this series, and it possesses all the Hallmark if great Kay fantasy. It plumbs real world history and mythology to root the vivid word he builds in it, this time the Celtic myths of Wales, and revels in the artistry of language and creation that have rise to those ancient stories.

We also see the deep humanity that always information his writing,v as characters are moved more by admiration, joy, and empathy than the usual fantasy motivators of fate, rage, or vengeance. Thought there is some of that, too.

Perhaps the only misstep for me is the rather clumsy "portal" element. This book never really shows why Loren needed to take five people from Earth back to Fionavar, and I'm honestly kind of bemused at how smoothly and quickly the Canadian kids side into their roles in this utterly alien world.

But Kay's writing is as masterful add it is today, and the world as enthralling as any in fantasy, so I'll forgive that minor stumbling block.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Summer Tree.

September 8, 2019 – Started Reading