Becky Spratford's Reviews > Hollow Kingdom

Hollow Kingdom by Kira Jane Buxton

liked it

Three Words That Describe This Book: animal narration, sardonic, engaging

This is another debut horror novel that has a unique frame. Here we see a zombie apocalypse happening in real time from the point of view of animals. The main character is a crow named ST but we see into the minds of many other pets and even creatures way out in the wild.

This is a funny, sardonic, extremely biting tale of people destroying themselves. This is a zombie apocalypse story for people who both love and want to parody the subgenre.

For me, it got too cute at points, but I greatly appreciated the detailed discussion of humans from the animal perspective and seeing how the apocalypse looks to the animals left behind. Too often we only get the survivor stories of the humans left behind, and things look at lot different from an animal perspective.

I also appreciated how the story honors that animals do have an intricate way to communicate, one we dismiss because we are too much about our superiority as a species.

For fans of satire and horror, especially zombie stories. Also a must read for fans of animal narrated fiction-- of which there are many.

Readalikes: Any humorous horror. Some of my favorites- books by David Wong and Breathers: A Zombie's Lament by S.G. Browne

But also, books about animal or plant communication would also work.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Hollow Kingdom.

September 15, 2019 – Started Reading