Jessica Haider's Reviews > Maternal Instinct

Maternal Instinct by Rebecca Bowyer

bookshelves: giveaways, dystopia

Maternal Instinct is a dystopian tale set in Australia in the near future. Over the last two generations, the government has established guidelines and laws around giving birth and raising children. This was all done so that no child would be neglected or live in poverty.

While she is young, every woman is required to have two pregnancies. Once a baby is born, the mother lives in a group Birthing Home with the baby until the child is 6 months old, at which point, the baby is turned over to be cared for by a professional Mater and Pater in another home. Once the birth mother is done with her two pregnancies, she can move on to her career and visit her children on Sundays. The kids meanwhile, are raised in loving homes by professional caregivers and no kid goes without.

Alice works for the government and the party that manages many of these policies. She begins to question things when her own daughter Monica expresses anxiety about being separated from her baby boy in the next few months.

Overall, I enjoyed this book. I am a big fan of dystopian fiction so was excited when I won this book in a goodreads giveaway. I was not disappointed in this book. I enjoyed the realistic setting (it wasn't overly bleak or completely different from out current society) and the policies came about naturally and not from a government overthrow or anything extreme like that. I recommend this book to fans of dystopian fiction.

I won a copy of this book in a goodreads giveaway. Thank you to the publisher!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Maternal Instinct.

September 15, 2019 – Shelved