Karen's Reviews > The Miracles of the Namiya General Store

The Miracles of the Namiya General Store by Keigo Higashino

190448

4.5 stars for originality alone.

"Compare the people who write to me as lost, astray. In most cases, they have a map but just won't look at it, or don't know how to find their own location."

What a delightful story. I have no idea how to review this story. Basically, three bandits find a run down convenience store as a hideaway. When a letter comes through the mail slot asking for advice, they realize this store's owner used to give advice in the past when it was still running. So they decide to test it out. The story then twists and turns in each chapter coming all back together almost like a Mobius strip. You cant help but smile in the end.

There's time travel, history, and some fun plot twists in this story. I found the translation to be a bit odd at times but since I didn't read it in its original language I can't tell if that was stylistic choice or just poor translation. It's a reasonably simplistic story and not a giant amount of character development but some.

The idea is so novel that I was delighted just on that alone. If unusual novels are your thing I think you will enjoy this one. I did.

Huge thanks to netgalley and Yen Press for an advanced copy in return for an honest review.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Miracles of the Namiya General Store.

September 14, 2019 – Started Reading