Florence's Reviews > Never Enough

Never Enough by Joe McGinniss

Mar 20, 2012

liked it
Read from March 20 to 26, 2012

This is a very sordid tale. Rob Kissel, an investment banker in Hong Kong and his wife Nan live as though they were Masters of the Universe. Never Enough is the right title. All the riches in the world don't produce a tranquil domestic scene. The two of them are in love with money and themselves. Eventually Nan finds a lover in Vermont and Rob decides to divorce her. But wait, she can't live in a trailer with her new guy. A different plan is required. She has murder in mind. An unsavory story.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Never Enough.

message 1: by Lewis (new)

Lewis Weinstein Joe McGinniss is not to be taken seriously, not after the dishonest hatchet job he did on Jeffrey MacDonald, apparently changing his view of MacDonald's guilt after his editor told him the book wouldn't sell if McGinniss said MacDonald was innocent. See ...Fatal Justice: Reinvestigating the MacDonald Murders by Jerry Allen Potter ... for a full discussion of this horrifying case.

Florence I did read the book about McDonald. I wasn't familiar with the controversy surrounding it. A horrible crime. I always believed he was guilty inspite of what McGinniss said.

message 3: by Lewis (new)

Lewis Weinstein I do not believe MacDonald was guilty. There was evidence hidden from the defense and later, when they found it, it was judged too late to introduce. I think there was a major miscarriage of justice here which seems to have had the objective of protecting children of some top brass at the base.

I have corresponded with MacDonald and his case was part of my inspiration for writing A Good Conviction, which tells the story of a young man convicted by a NYC prosecutor of a murder the prosecutor knew he didn't commit. This happens way too often in America.

A Good Conviction

Florence Though we disagree about the MacDonald case, I agree that many cases are decided on faulty evidence.