Kira-Richelle's Reviews > I Medici. Una dinastia al potere

I Medici. Una dinastia al potere by Matteo Strukul

it was ok

I do apologise for making this commentary on the Italian version, but the English translation does not yet have a designated space on Goodreads. So, without further ado:

Not the best historical fiction I've ever read. Neither Strukul (author) nor McKenna (translator) bring this history to life quite like I had hoped. It could be argued that some of the clunkiness and strangeness of the text is due to the translation, but I find it hard that it would all fall solely on McKenna's shoulders.

The most distracting part of the writing is that the viewpoint/narration shifts constantly. One moment the narration is from Cosimo's viewpoint and the next from Contessina's then back to Cosimo then it switches randomly to Lorenzo—it's too much and poorly done. One of the first rules of any writer's workshop is to keep your tense (and narration) consistent. This book has none of that.

The characters have no dimension. They seemingly have no motivation short of "I want this" and go about in random ways to achieve their goals. There is no insight (or pretended insight) into their goals and ambitions; the characters exist only as names, not as people with personalities. The women are sorely abused in their descriptions; while the men receive tame treatment in their appearances, Strukul (and McKenna) take ample opportunity to describe how beautiful, tempting, sumptuous, and luscious the women are. The number of times a woman's breasts are commented on is horrifyingly high.

Strukul's history lacks the elegance and craft of most historical fiction novels. The writing is flat and there are instances where paragraphs just go on and on and do not seem to accomplish much at all. All in all, it's just a bit of a disappointment.

This is the first of three (?) novels that Strukul wrote on the Medicis, and so far it is the only one that has been translated into English. Guaranteed that if any of the others come out in English, I won't be reading them.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read I Medici. Una dinastia al potere.

September 13, 2019 – Started Reading