Kristine Hansen's Reviews > The Earthquake Machine

The Earthquake Machine by Mary Pauline Lowry

1952643

bookshelves: giveaways
Recommended to Kristine by: Mary Pauline Lowry

I won this book on the Goodreads Giveaway program in exchange for a unbiased review. :)

This is a book that sucked me in. From the moment I met Rhonda I wanted to know what would happen to her. Only 14 she's learned already at the hands of her parents that the world is cruel. Her only refuge is the gardener, Jesus, who is deported back to Mexico. With her life spiraling out of control, she flees to Mexico to find him.

Her journey is at times surreal, but amazing. The cast of characters she meets are at times strange and all too real. But the book's strength lies in the multi-layered journey. Her search for Jesus, is a search for herself, as she seeks to understand her losses, her sexuality, and her faith.

I caution readers as faith and sex intertwined in a girl so young makes for a disturbing read at times. This is a secular book with strong Catholic overtones. On the other hand, it's a story that rings true on many levels, and I really felt that at the end she'd become who she'd been meant to be all along.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Earthquake Machine.

Quotes Kristine Liked

Mary Pauline Lowry
“That was what it meant to be a woman: to live in an unbearable agony hidden for a time behind smoke and mirrors.”
Mary Pauline Lowry, The Earthquake Machine