Maggie 劉美儒's Reviews > The Blacksmith Queen

The Blacksmith Queen by G.A. Aiken

bookshelves: reviewed
Read 2 times. Last read November 29, 2019 to December 6, 2019.

I chose to make The Blacksmith Queen my first review of the year because, why not start the year off with one of my all-time favourite authors? G.A. Aiken also writes as my personal deity, Shelly Laurenston. That's right, y'all, my precious. In keeping with her usual style of weaving romance in with comedy and bloodshed, The Blacksmith Queen is an excellent launch to Laurenston/Aiken's new series in her Dragonkin world.
The characters we're given in The Blacksmith Queen are, as usual, hilariously dramatic and nonchalantly violent. Keeley has a freaking hammer that she swings around like it's a feather pillow and takes a dude's head off with it. Cousin Keran's a retired member of a fighters' guild. Keeley's mum gets bored whilst preggers and builds things for the farm. I can't even begin to get started with Gemma, just y'all. Come on! And that's just the Smythe family. There's also Keeley and Gemma's father Angus and his brother, Archie, who need a family counsellor (there is no shame in that, that's healthy). And finally there are the Amichai, Caid, Laila, and Quinn all of the Scarred Earth Clan, who make me cackle.
Some of the things I loved most about The Blacksmith Queen were the demonic wolves, I love them and I want one. They're so loyal to Keeley, it's so beautiful! I loved how G.A. Aiken brought up a special deity connection again, because I loved that in the Dragonkin books. I like the absurdity of the Aiken & Laurenston books, they're great for reading after a bad week or when you're stressing out over something or hiding in your closet from your anxiety (hey, I don't judge you...). One thing I disliked about this book was the naming system. I just really freaking hate occupation = surname. My last name translates to the verb "kill". That means that way back in the past somebody decided that someone in my family was good at killing. And my family has had this name for centuries. A bunch of people, known for killing. Okay, I just really hate that naming system, it's not the book's fault. It's my murderous ancestor's fault. But honestly, I'm glad that our civilisation has grown past that.
But the story is not just laughs and giggles, there is heartbreak and hapless adventure and an obsession with working metal that normal folks just won't understand. You will encounter acts of vengeance and acts of betrayal in this story that you won't expect and some you will.
Now, as per usual, I have content warnings for you! If you feel that forewarned is forearmed, all you need to do is click the reveal button (there is no button, I C&P'd from my site where I use a spoiler button code to hide warnings) and you have the content and trigger warnings. As always, please practise care in your readings if any of these might be problematic for you, and if you have any questions about them, please feel free to reach out to me if you have any questions about them!
This book contains gore, violence, fratricide, attempted sororicide, mention of infanticide, attempted fondling, murder of beloved animal companion, mentions of sexual assault (not on main characters and not described), a threat of rape to a main character, violence against animals, animal sacrifice, cursing, copious alcohol use, manipulative behaviours from a sociopath.
Overall, I'm giving all of my 5 stars and 2 flames for heat to The Blacksmith Queen. I always love reading G.A. Aiken and Shelly Laurenston, no matter which pen name I'm reading, and I can't wait to read her next book! Thank you to Kensington Publishing for the finished copy, I now I have two copies so I can read one and lend it if I wish and one pretty one for my shelves. Readers, if you're looking for an entertaining read that you can lose yourself in, I highly recommend you pick up a copy of The Blacksmith Queen by G.A. Aiken.

This has been a review from Once Upon a Time, I Read a Book, feel free to visit my site for more weirdness! Have a happily ever after!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Blacksmith Queen.

June 21, 2019 – Shelved (Paperback Edition)
June 21, 2019 – Shelved as: to-read (Paperback Edition)
September 13, 2019 – Started Reading