Rhapsody's Reviews > Running with the Demon

Aug 10, 2008

liked it
bookshelves: fiction, fantasy
Read in August, 2008

A very entertaining contemporary fantasy, with horror elements. There are demonic creatures that populate the world, called feeders. They multiply in the presence of people's bad emotions. John Ross is a Knight of the Word; he hunts demons, who cause large and small disasters that stir people up and cause the feeder population to grow. His dreams take him to Hopewell, where he needs to stop an event that will destroy the future of civilization and throw the balance of people and feeders completely out of whack. Nest is a fourteen year old girl who lives in Hopewell and is at the center of the impending catastrophe. She comes from a family in which a female in each generation has magic. Her mother died and her father disappeared under mysterious circumstances, and everyone around her seems to know ominous things about her, but no one will ever answer her questions.

It's been years since I read anything by Brooks. He is really entertaining. Even though Nest and Ross don't meet until maybe halfway through the book or more, there was never a "OK, get on with it" feeling. The characters were all very well-developed and the questions regarding her parents were answered at a good pace. The demon was a wonderful character; he was actually a little scary at times. I know there's another book in the series. I'll definitely read it sometime. However, that "sometime" is kind of key. Even though it was a very entertaining book, it's more like the entire book was above average, but there were none of those spikes you sometimes get, when a scene is just totally awesome. Even the fight at the end didn't quite move me.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Running with the Demon.