Ben Truong's Reviews > If I Built a School

If I Built a School by Chris Van Dusen

M 50x66

bookshelves: childrens, picture-books

If I Built a School is the third book in the children's picture book series If I Built..., written and illustrated by Chris Van Dusen, which follows an imaginative boy named Jack who wants to design his ideal school.

The text is rather simplistic, straightforward, and lyrical. Written in rhyming couplets, the narrative tells the school that a little would like to create. The illustrations are colorful, sleek, and shiny, reinforcing the 1950s suburbia ambiance and the narrative.

The premise of the book is rather straightforward. Jack returns once more and outlines his perfect school with a shiny, bright, futuristic facility in which students are swept to open-roofed classes in clear tubes, there are no tests but lots of field trips, and art, music, and science are afterthoughts next to the huge and awesome gym, playground, and lunchroom. A robot and lots of cute puppies greet students at the door, robotically made-to-order lunches and the library's books are all animated popups rather than the everyday regular sorts.

All in all, If I Built a School is a wonderful book about a little boy and his boundless imagination in creating the perfect school.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read If I Built a School.

September 13, 2019 – Started Reading