Kelly's Reviews > Fingersmith

Fingersmith by Sarah Waters

Mar 20, 2012

bookshelves: favorites

Fingersmith had a bit of a slow start for me, but once the characters of Sue and Maud were in the same place, it really grabbed me and kept my interest throughout. Some reviewers have mentioned it's probably a bit longer than it needs to be and I do agree. However, the story is a fascinating one and the multiple twists were often so shocking that they caused me to read well past a reasonable bedtime a couple nights to see where the story would turn next.

Sarah Waters definitely has a talent for putting you into the setting of a story and I could visualize everything that was happening in this Victorian England based novel. This made it particularly heartbreaking to read some of the scenes, but also fully immersed me in the story. The characters were multi-layered and interesting, particularly Susan. I enjoyed the way the author used the differing viewpoints to show the reader both sides of what happened. Sometimes that writing style can become monotonous or overly repetitive, but I didn't feel that here and actually really appreciated this story being told that way.

One small thing that started to annoy me: the author often describes characters as "shaking" or "shivering" anytime they feel any emotion...fear, passion, suspicion, excitement, anger. It happened enough that I picked up on it and it kind of bugged me. Like I said, it's a small thing but nevertheless, one that caught my attention.

Fingersmith was a bit of a departure from some of the other books I've read, but I really enjoyed it and definitely recommend it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Fingersmith.