Anjana's Reviews > Pretty Amy

Pretty Amy by Lisa Burstein

Mar 20, 2012

I started reading Pretty Amy expecting a light story about high school drama on prom night. Instead, I got something much deeper.

Pretty Amy is the story Amy, a high school senior who's friends with the wrong kind girls just to feel accepted. The book begins on Prom Night when Amy and her two 'best friends' Lila and Cassie get stood up by their dates and an act of revenge ends up getting them arrested. Talk about a prom night from hell.

Whatever I was expecting, it was not this. Pretty Amy was way better than that. We all know what high school's like. Sure, things could be much worse but being invisible is every teenage girl's worst nightmare and it seems like the end of the world at the time.
Amy used to be an average girl with good grades and a so-so group of friends . All she has wanted was to belong, be something, feel like she was special even if she really wasn't and despite all the drinking, partying, drugs and the crazy trouble, Cassie and Lila gave her that, until Prom Night.

Lisa Burstein has written a fantastic novel exploring the troubles and insecurities of high school, peer-pressure and the consequences of your actions. The writing - sarcastic and full of wit - seriously made this book unputdownable.

I could understand and even relate to a lot of Amy's feelings, thoughts and choices and although I was screaming "Wake up!" the whole time as her world was falling apart, I probably would've reacted the same way at her age. Amy's resentment toward her mother, shrink, Joe and everyone else who tried to help her, I felt, was extreme and yet realistic and believable.

Although my high school experience was nothing like that, through the entire novel when I was in Amy's head, I could actually understand where she was coming from, her anger and also the vulnerable side that she tried so hard not to show. With Pretty Amy, Burstein got it all right - the way she let the emotions, events and dialogues play out among the characters.

"If bitching were karate, my mother would be a black belt."

Pretty Amy isn't just about the serious stuff one goes through in high school, the author also got all the embarrassing, awkward moments perfect while writing the book! The added humor just made it all the better. Amy's mother trying to help, haha, my mother is so like that!

Highly engaging, gritty and sometimes dark, I really enjoyed reading Pretty Amy, I hope you do too!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Pretty Amy.

Katy This book is CRAZY!!! LOL

Anjana lol, good or bad crazy?

Katy LOL, good crazy.

Anjana yay! I really liked it!!