Tfitoby's Reviews > Real World

Real World by Natsuo Kirino

Mar 20, 2012

liked it
bookshelves: lit, translation

I'm conflicted. Look at the cover of this edition. It's amazingly effed up (self censorship for the win!) to the point where even the japanese characters can look like blood if you're not paying attention. It's cashing in on the trend towards Japanese terror in movies and it doesn't deliver. Not that I was expecting that from Kirino.

What I did get was a very well written piece of literature about a group of teenage girls who were never the same after that fateful summer (as the cliche goes) but in no way would I categorise it with that evil label "young adult" fiction.

The story is interesting enough on its own but nothing special, the pleasure comes from the contrasting points of view over the eight chapters as Kirino manages to conjure five very real and very believable individual voices to analyse the alienation of the individual in modern life.

And this is not a book about girls, about teenagers, about Japan; this is a novel about the struggle to survive in the 21st century, about the secrets and lies we create as a safety net around us and the inability to break down these barriers and allow even those closest to you access to the inner 'I.'

Sounds great doesn't it? For me it suffers in comparison to other great Japanese authors, for example if I hadn't read the brilliant dark contemporary literature of Ryū Murakami the darkness of this might have had more effect on me and if I'd never known the beautiful, magical poetic analysis found in the works of Haruki Murakami this might have had a more profound effect on me. As it is this novel exists as an interesting introduction to the work of Natsuo Kirino without really touching on what she is apparently famous for, the detective/crime novel.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Real World.

March 20, 2012 – Shelved
March 24, 2012 –
page 159
March 24, 2012 – Finished Reading

message 1: by Leah (new)

Leah You write reviews good.

message 2: by Leah (new)

Leah You write reviews good.

Tfitoby Aw thanks. So good you told me two times. Two times.