Lacer's Reviews > The Testaments

The Testaments by Margaret Atwood

U 50x66

I loved this, it answers a lot of questions about what happened to certain characters from the original book AND the TV series (the continuity with the TV series pleasantly surprised me), and what happened to Gilead as a whole. It’s also yet another reminder that ‘history does not repeat itself but it does rhyme’, the awful things people do because they feel they have to, and the power of fighting back.

There are three narrators; Aunt Lydia and two teenage girls, one from Canada and one from Gilead, Atwood gets the voice of teenage girls down perfectly, and how that teenage voice would differ depending on where they were raised.

Not that I’ve read many Atwood books (something I need to rectify) but this book is faster paced than some of her other stuff, you also have to remember that two of her narrators are modern day teenagers (even if one was brought up in a theocracy) and are therefore not going to go off on flowery long tangents. I loved this book but it may not be what some other Atwood fans are expecting.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Testaments.

September 13, 2019 – Started Reading