Anita's Reviews > Black Wings

Mar 20, 2012

liked it
bookshelves: urban-fantasy, paranormal-romance
Read in June, 2012

This is a series about angels, demons, and humans with the job of showing recently departed souls to the door so they don't become ghosts. Maddy is a 30+ year old virgin soul escort with an entirely pitiful life. She's got exactly 2 friends, one of which is a gargoyle, and the other a gay man. She uses her job as an excuse not to date or even have a fling, and her day job is writing food articles freelance. She inherited a duplex building when her mom died, so she lives in half and rents the other half, but she's had trouble finding a new renter. De-press-ing. Then demons come to town, she learns exactly who her deadbeat dad is, she comes into money, and everyone is trying to kill her. Instead, they kill a lot of people around her. Oh, and a long dead woman is giving her visions, and Maddy's manifesting unusual powers. Her new renter turns out to be a body guard sent by her dad, and he's HOT. The tone of the book is flip and light most of the time, with moments that are gruesome.

It's a complicated plot, but I had no problem following it. What I objected to about this book was just how pitiful the heroine is. First, I hate virgins in romance books. Especially old ones - it shows such a huge lack of confidence, of not living life to the fullest. Second, Maddy is a doormat. She lets everything spin out of control around her. She's not assertive enough and again, lacks confidence. I don't respect her as a heroine. Maybe she will grow into the heroine role in later books, but I wouldn't want to befriend her if I met her.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Black Wings.