Corina's Reviews > The Grace Year

The Grace Year by Kim Liggett

liked it
bookshelves: audiobook, young-adult

WOW, I had so many thoughts while listening to this audiobook.

First and foremost, the premise of this story was compelling, captivating and just plain unique. Someone described this book as being a combination between The Handmaid’s Tale and Lord of the Flies, and I must admit it’s the perfect comparison. The Grace Year is a compelling work of fiction that left me bereft at times, incredibly sad, while also hopeful. But most of all I was hooked, and just wowed by its unique story.

The reason why it doesn't have a higher rating is twofold.

Primarily, the book exhausted me. There are books which I don’t want to end, and then there are books like The Grace Year. I couldn’t wait for it to be done, and only because of the way it made me feel. The imagination, and how the story was executed kept me on the edge of my seat. But the brutality at times, the bone deep wariness I experienced and the sadness I felt throughout the book literally drained me. The world/society depicted in this book made me want to SCREAM!!!! Additionally one of the characters gave me the most murderous thoughts I ever experienced – lol!!

Secondly, when I think about the plot itself, not everything made sense to me. In addition not everything was explained properly, because I’m still left with questions. And I had some issues with the writing. The author had the habit of dragging out scenes with unnecessary inner monologues.

But the overall story was amazing.
The many twists and turns were mind boggling. The plot was filled with tension and conflict, all of which helped make this book an astonishingly captivating read. It was just so sad at times, thanks to the author not pulling any punches – just saying….

On the other hand I really appreciated the fact that the story didn’t just end in a big bang. The author took the time to tie up loose ends. Although, as I mentioned above, I still have tons of questions. But I liked that the story continued even after the Grace Year was officially over. It gave the plot a kind of satisfying conclusion.

Overall, thanks to the author’s imagination this book was uniquely different. The story easily captured my mind over the last few days. And thanks to the great narration The Grace Year was one of those audiobooks that pulled me in and didn’t let me go until it was done. One thing is for certain, I won’t forget it anytime soon.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Grace Year.

September 12, 2019 – Shelved
September 12, 2019 – Shelved as: to-read
October 14, 2019 – Started Reading
October 17, 2019 – Shelved as: audiobook
October 17, 2019 – Shelved as: young-adult
October 17, 2019 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)

Texas_BookWorm(Priscilla) I Believe I saw that it's gonna be made into a movie.

Corina Texas_BookWorm(Priscilla) wrote: "I Believe I saw that it's gonna be made into a movie."

That doesn't surprise me at all - the story is just too unique and spellbinding not to turn it into something more. :D

Val ⚓️ Shameless Non-Snowflake ⚓️ Great review, Corina!