T.L. Barrett's Reviews > Relics

Relics by Tim Lebbon

it was ok

When one is excited by the premise of a book and spends money to read it, but doesn’t enjoy the experience, that reader might totally dismiss the book in his or her review. I will try to avoid any rants, but, in all honesty, after reading Relics by Tim Lebbon, I felt like I did when I visited the carnival as a kid and spent my only 50 cents to see the preserved corpse of a Sasquatch which turned out to be a felt-covered store dummy lying in a tub of Styrofoam.

In all fairness, I will, if the pitch is right, try another of Tim Lebbon’s books (not the sequels to this book, however). He is a competent writer, and I’ve enjoyed many of his anthologized tales in the past. Those tales were largely horror stories, while Relics does not so much as defy genre as fail to effectively find a home in any. The novel (the first in a trilogy) centers on Angela, an American living in a London flat with her English boyfriend, Vince. Vince disappears, and Angela leaves her rather quiet and empty life to find him. She discovers that he has been secretly living the life of a relic hunter, procuring pieces of mythical creatures for notoriously shady criminal collector types. The twist here is: not all of these mythical creatures are dead.

I will forthwith try to summarize the root problems I had with this book.

To finish this review go to: https://tlbarrett.com

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Relics.

Finished Reading