Jena Henry's Reviews > Yesterday's Hopes

Yesterday's Hopes by Jane      O'Brien

I will start this review by urging readers- if you haven’t read the first book in the series, Yesterday’s Tears, please read it as soon as you can! Yesterday’s Tears is my favorite Jane O’Brien book, and definitely in my top favorites pile. Yesterday’s Tears is the first book in her time slip series and that book has it all as you time slip to 1875 Michigan with an amazing heroine who faces many challenges and just may have found true love.

We have all eagerly awaited the second book in the A Slip in Time series and it’s here! Yesterday’s Hopes continues the story of time traveler Francine, her 1875 pioneer hunk Luke and their challenging but also passionate life in western Michigan. Francine has settled in to her sweet little cabin and is looking forward to her first year of teaching school. Life is busy, with tending the garden, taking care of the chickens, churning butter and visiting with the neighbor ladies. She and Luke are joined by a powerful romantic force and are starting to plan their future together, although what does that really mean when one is a time traveler?

And then…Francine’s sister Dora joins them. The sisters are close, especially since their parents had died and it was fascinating in the first book to see how they tried to communicate with one another, from the one sister in from past to the other sister in the present. In this new book, you will hold your breath and then be elated when it turns out their plan works and Dora suddenly finds herself on the train platform in Twin Lake, Michigan. Dora has come to rescue Francine and take her back to the 21st century.

After a thrilling and heart-felt reunion, Francine helps Dora settle in to life without any conveniences or digital capabilities, in fact, life without a bathroom or much furniture. Dora is a spunky and willful young lady who lives to flirt and soon finds that while the 19th century may lack amenities, men are still the same. They enjoy a woman with beauty and spark. Although Dora is in a hurry to get back to the present with Francine, will she stay a while in 1875 to get to know the mysterious and sexy Rhett Butler-like brother of Luke, the smoldering, bad boy Wade?

As you can see, Author Jane O’Brien continues her wonderful storytelling ways with another “read it straight through” story. In addition to the main characters that seem so real, she includes some favorite characters from the first book and introduces us to some new people, including Daniel in the 21st century who has also fallen under Dora’s spell and is desperately trying to find her.

I know you will enjoy the time you spend with the second book in the series. Author O’Brien infuses all her books with a sense of history and place, and so the time slip writing is quite natural for her. Francine is appealing and resourceful, the townspeople are well-drawn, and the passion between lovers Francine and Luke, and Dora and several men, is engaging, passionate and real. One sister seems inclined to remain in the past and one sister wants to return to the present day. I can’t wait for the third book in the series to see what happens next!

Don’t waste any time- read this book! Thanks to the author for a review copy. This is my honest review.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Yesterday's Hopes.

Finished Reading