allieereads's Reviews > Summer of Salt

Summer of Salt by Katrina Leno

19936626

4.5 stars.

Trigger warnings: rape, animal abuse, murder, sexual violence.

There are a lot of things I want to say about this book. I was surprised at how much I enjoyed the story, the writing, the characters. It was such a beautiful novel.

What I enjoyed:
-the characters. They were well developed and interesting. The focus on the family was so fantastic. I want more stories about witchy families please.
- the setting. Like, something about the island made everything so much more eerie and magical?
- the writing was stunning. It was beautiful and simple at the same time? And it had such power behind it.
- the diversity of the characters! Lesbian main character, aroace best friend, and bisexual(?) romantic interest. It was so freakin great.

What I didn’t(?) enjoy:
- the sister’s character could have been more interesting if she was written with more depth.
- i wish there was more time spent on the aftermath of the trauma, of the sister, but also of how the family is supporting/dealing with it. The sister just becomes a bird...is that how she will be dealing with what happened to her? By shapeshifting?
- it needed to be a tad bit longer. I felt as though it ended abruptly and needed to flush out a few more aspects to the story.
- although I enjoyed the fact that the romance was not the central aspect of the storyline, and i loved the story, it would have been awesome if we saw more of the relationship building between the main character and her love interest?

Freakin great book and I highly recommend it...i was crying, on the edge of my seat, and grinning so hard when reading this book.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Summer of Salt.

September 11, 2019 – Shelved