Sharon's Reviews > Hack Your Cupboard: Make Great Food with What You've Got

Hack Your Cupboard by Alyssa Wiegand

F 50x66

bookshelves: cookbooks, netgalley, nonfiction

Lerner Publishing Group and NetGalley provided me with an electronic copy of Hack Your Cupboard: Make Great Food With What You've Got. I was under no obligation to review this book and my opinion is freely given.

The cookbook is divided into sections like: Your First Kitchen, Dorm Room Dining, First Apartment Dining, and First Solo Kitchen. With important tips for first timers in the kitchen, Hack Your Cupboard is designed to reach those who are new to cooking for themselves. Much of the introduction is self-explanatory, but beginners might truly not have knowledge in the areas that are explored. This cookbook would be particularly useful for those just starting out.

Hack Your Cupboard is designed to take ordinary dishes and amp them up with ingredients from pantry or fridge. There are beginner techniques, like making vinaigrette, which is followed by a salad recipe. There are tips enclosed in colorful oval shapes to make them pop off the page. I like how the author has taken the time to go through kitchen essentials, like knife skills, and explains about certain ingredients with regards to preparation.

From basics like how to make grilled cheese or cook pasta, to slightly more complicated recipes like Chocolate Chip Cookies, the recipes themselves make sense for the target audience. The doom room section has many ramen dishes, for instance, or microwave recipes like Breakfast Bread Pudding and Simple Brownies.

Each section runs through essential pantry items and helpful tips for success. The cookbook shows great ways to use premade ingredients, whether they are leftovers like rice, or purchased like rotisserie chicken. The recipes get more sophisticated as the book moves through the different sections, although I personally did not find the cookbook to be challenging. I like how the author goes through different techniques and beginners will benefit from the tutorials. Overall, Hack Your Cupboard is an ideal house/apartment/dorm gift and is one I would recommend to the target audience.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Hack Your Cupboard.

September 11, 2019 – Started Reading