M.H. Thaung's Reviews > No Good Men

No Good Men by Thea McAlistair

After I read an early draft of this book, the author kindly provided me with a review copy. I've been waiting with a fair amount of anticipation for this release. I'm pleased to say the book doesn't disappoint.

The setting is America during the Great Depression. We meet Alex, a budding writer, who's earning a crust by working as a bodyguard for the mayor. Not a job he's exactly enthusiastic about, but life gets exciting when his client and his mentor are both shot dead in a nightclub.

From then on, Alex is drawn into a more complex and dangerous series of events. Every attempt he makes to solve the murders instead makes things worse. The expected elements of a noir mystery are present, including (but not limited to): a brutal policeman, a nosy reporter, a vulnerable child and a friend who is helpful but also hiding secrets. They all feel like people with lives of their own rather than revolving around Alex's troubles. Well, maybe not the policeman, but who cares about him?

(Disclaimer: I tend to avoid reading romances.) Alex's life is made even more difficult by love interest Sev being related to the local mob boss, although sometimes that has its advantages. The romantic elements in this book between Alex and Sev were tastefully handled. There was enough detail to establish the strength and challenges of their developing relationship without being (from my viewpoint) over the top.

The writing was smooth and the descriptions evocative without being overdone. I didn't notice any typos.

Overall, an enjoyable read. If you enjoy fast-paced mysteries, I recommend this one.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read No Good Men.

Started Reading