carol 's Reviews > Comfort Object

Comfort Object by Annabel Joseph

6193301
Mar 19, 2012

bookshelves: bdsm, ez-read-a-thon-challenge, pick-it-for-me-tbr-challenge, spanktastic-challenge, anal-sex, bondage, caning, domination, m-f, m-f-m, menage, multiple-partners, sadism, sadist, spanking, submission
Recommended to carol by: Kim D
Recommended for: Adult BDSM & erotica readers. (Not lite content)

Overall by the end I liked the story, but...some of the plot and characters made me fume.

Jeremy has seen and taken a fancy to Nell, so with and through his PA, Kyle, research BDSM club professional submissive, Nell, then put her in impossible situations to destroy her job, tenancy and hopes for her future. This is Jeremy Gray, famous actor, insecure person, louse, spoiled brat, scared to commit to any but himself...oh I disliked him and also Kyle to start. Then they offer Nell a closely worded and binding contract, drawn up by lawyer Martin, that virtually ties her into a role that includes sexual toy for anything Jeremy and his kink desires, however, this tempting offer would also allow her to achieve her academic ambition and independence back some time in her future.
Why do I see Pretty Woman characters here. The slime ball lawyer came to mind, and also I have Richard Gere in the role of Jeremy...no idea why as he doesn't fit character at all. I also hated that Nell was just handed over to Martin for use too, as the clause in the contract covers all things sexual and perverse too.

I hated what they did to Nell. That he pushed her to give on her hard limit too. Take, take, take...I wanted to smack him one. Nell, tricked, used and abused, so nice and loyal too, and plays the role of submissive to start but isn't really a natural one...yet by the end all changed.
Clever Annabel Joseph, as she had through the psychology, their roles in life, situations and financial acumen created characters and lifestyle that probably exist...and no I don't envy them at all, but pity them, having to live amongst the shallow hero worship of celebrity status and paparazzi searching and documenting their existence moment by moment...awful. Then by the end why am I rooting for them, saying come on Jeremy don't let your fears and insecurities lose her. Come on Nell, help him and yourself. So I have a complete change of heart. A hate to love relationship with what I have read.

One other thing has me curious, this was written and published before Fifty Shades of Gray, has male lead character named Gray, and to me and I may be wrong here but I get the impression E.L.James may have been influenced by this story, hmmm, certainly food for thought. However, Annabel is definitely the better writer in my opinion.

4 solid stars from me.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Comfort Object.

March 19, 2012 – Shelved
February 11, 2015 – Shelved as: sadist
February 11, 2015 – Shelved as: spanking
February 11, 2015 – Shelved as: submission
February 11, 2015 – Finished Reading

carol Thanks William, have you read any of Annabel Joseph's stories?