orangerful's Reviews > The Institute

The Institute by Stephen King

bookshelves: supernatural, suspense, adult, adult_w_ya_appeal

I find that Stephen King novels are like Star Trek movies for me - every *other* one is one that I like. So at some point I stopped picking them up because I lost track of the pattern. But for some reason, I put "The Institute" on hold and when it came in for me at the library, I was determined to read it within the 3 weeks I had. AND I DID IT! So, that says something right there.

While I always laugh at how King write children (they never seem to think or talk at an age appropriate level to me), his stories that center around children seem to be some of his strongest. Perhaps because being a kid is scary and when your main character is a kid, doesn't matter how smart he is, he has less power than anyone else.

This is less horror and more creepy supernatural but, as usual, the true evil comes from the humans themselves. The pain we can inflict on each other in the name of some cause or belief.

Yeah, there are some tropes here (I mean, I saw similarities between this story and an X-Files fanfic I wrote back in middle school so I know they must be tropes) but King weaves his own special kind of magic (or maybe it just seems like magic because I can't understand the Northeastern slang terms).

If you haven't read a Stephen King book in awhile, this is a solid one to pick up.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Institute.

September 10, 2019 – Shelved
September 10, 2019 – Shelved as: to-read
September 18, 2019 – Started Reading
September 24, 2019 –
page 160
September 26, 2019 –
page 200
35.65% "Stephen, I love you, but this is not how children talk. I keep having to remind myself that these are supposed to be kids, even if they behave like older teens or young adults."
September 27, 2019 –
page 250
44.56% "I feel like King binge-watched 'Stranger Things' and thought "oooh but I have another idea!""
October 6, 2019 – Shelved as: supernatural