Annette Abbott's Reviews > Sister

Sister by Rosamund Lupton

Mar 19, 2012

it was ok
bookshelves: book-club

They say misery loves company and I was a little pleased to see that there were about 600 other reviewers (at the time of this posting) who agreed that this book is 2 or less star worthy.

I wont go into what the story is about. 10 million reviewers before me have done that rather well. However, I'll say this: The herrings were too red. The ending was irritating. I felt nothing for the characters. The first person narrative was annoying for me because I never could work out if this was a letter or was it thoughts or was it spoken. Maybe I would have given "Sister" an extra star had I not heard so many rave reviews about it. Such reviews served to set my expectations so high that I was waiting for my head to be split wide open in awe at each corner - only to be disappointed. The only mind blowing this about this is that Lupton is compared to Daphne du Maurier or Ruth Rendell.

This was our book club selection for this month. We haven't had our meeting yet and I must say I'm rather looking forward to hearing what others thought about it -- even more so hope that those who enjoyed it, try to win me over with their points of view because I truly wanted to like this book. Really, I did.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sister.

Hannah She was compared to Daphne Du Maurier?! That is mind- blowing, she doesn't come close! I mean, she's ok, but Daphne Du Maurier was a genius.