Kerrin P's Reviews > Death on the Nile

Death on the Nile by Agatha Christie

I would title this Agatha Christie novel, “Deaths On The Nile” since there is more than one murder. As always, it is fun to try to figure out whodunnit or in this case whodunthem.

The main premise is that Linnet Ridgeway, a wealthy, self-centered socialite, decides to steal away Simon Doyle, the fiancé of one of her old friends, Jacqueline de Bellefort. Withing three months Linnet and Simon are married and travel to Egypt for their honeymoon. Jacqueline inconveniently and mysteriously shows up everywhere they go. She threatens to kill them with the pistol she carries It is also unfortunate for our hero, Hercule Poirot, that he happens to be vacationing in Cairo where the threesome is staying. Then he also boards the same ship where the Deaths On The Nile mysteriously occur. Of course everyone has an alibi.

Along the way, we are introduced to many different characters, all with some hidden agenda. These include a closet alcoholic, a kleptomaniac, a jewel thief, a Socialist, an archaeologist, a medical doctor, an unsavory crew member, an erotica novelist and her dour daughter, a snobbish American who is accompanied by a nurse and a poor, but very sweet relative, Linnet’s maid Louise, and a mother and her son, who has no real employment but managed to treat his mother to this trip. Poirot is joined on the ship by his friend, Colonel Race, who is tracking a murderer that is one of the passengers, but whose identity is unknown. Several of the passengers carry weapons, which apparently was commonplace. In addition to the murders, two romances unexpectedly bloom. Things happen fast on this boat!

I must confess, I went down one of the rabbit trails and guessed incorrectly. I did see the movie back in 1978, but as typical for me, I had already forgotten it. It is a fun trip down the Nile watching Poirot figure it out like no one else can. Agatha Christie was at the top of her game with this novel!

The only thing that really bothered me in the book is the constant use of French phrases that are not translated into English. It seemed rather snobbish of the author to exclude readers who did not know French. Fortunately for the modern-day reader, it is easy to use an online translator.

5 Stars. Book Club Recommended (which is a good thing since it is my Book Club’s September 2019 selection).

If you would like to see my recipe recommendation for Egyptian Oven Fried Cheese, check out my website www.kerrinsbookreviews.com

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Death on the Nile.

September 10, 2019 – Started Reading
September 10, 2019 – Shelved
September 15, 2019 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-1 of 1 (1 new)

message 1: by Karen (new)

Karen Brown Nice review. I liked the book too!