C.G. Drews's Reviews > The Cure for Dreaming

The Cure for Dreaming by Cat Winters

bookshelves: historical-fiction, read-2019, young-adult

This book is definitely a feminist shout in the dark, and I do love that about it! I actually had no idea what it would be about...I just saw it on the library shelf and recognised the author, and like, hi I am unmanageable in a library. I really loved Odd & True last year, so I'm glad I got to read another of her books! The style is so easy to read, Olivia so winning and easy to feel for. It has moments of fun, but overall it had a heavy tone of giving voice to oppressed women.

This also starred hypnotism which was super interesting to read. It did take me a while to care about Henri Reverie (our dear 18yo hypnotist) because he took the job in the first place of Olivia's father hiring him to hypnotise her "dreams" away. What kind of upturned cowpat is he tho. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ At least he had a character arc. Percy was a heinous little shit and her father was a monster. I wish, overall, there had been more comeuppances though. And honestly? This isn't my favourite type of book; I prefer stories where women don't have to prove they're human. But that's not a negative on the book! It was fascinating, a good mix of magic and history.

Olivia fought for her voice, her dreams, and her whole story is about empowerment.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Cure for Dreaming.

September 9, 2019 – Started Reading