Sarah Kennedy's Reviews > Warlight

Warlight by Michael Ondaatje

8194074

liked it

Michael Ondaatje is almost unbeatable in his skill at creating a memorable sentence, whether he's writing literally or figuratively. And this novel is no exception. So if you want a novel that is written beautifully, this one, set in post-WW II London, will satisfy.

If, however, you want a novel that is well-shaped, then you may want to look elsewhere. While the main character is finely drawn, the limited POV derails the telling of the story into speculation and guess, which left me at first somewhat baffled and finally a bit irritated. This frustration was compounded by the long first part, in which many events are told--and retold--with such lingering detail that the story seemed to flag. Part II moves at a faster pace, but, again, the POV becomes a real problem in the storytelling, and so I found it even less appealing--as a story--than the first part.

And yet: the writing is very fine. It's excellent. It is what kept me reading, and it's what always sends me to Michael Ondaatje. I just wish he would trim up his stories more. http://sarahkennedybooks.com

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Warlight.

September 2, 2019 – Started Reading