Anita Dow's Reviews > The Scarab Heart

The Scarab Heart by Michael   Gallagher

I thoroughly enjoyed 'The Scarab Heart' - book 2 in 'The Involuntary Medium' series and for me it manages to surpass the first book in the writing, characters and plot. Victorian teenager and reluctant medium Lizzie Blaylock accompanies her mentor Miss Otis. on a trip down the River Nile to an archaeological dig. The mysterious goings on and the cast of brilliantly drawn characters with interesting agendas is beautifully written and reminiscent of Agatha Christie. But the clever part is the way author Michael Gallagher weaves in the sub-plot - the story of a real ancient Egyptian princess and her powerful relations. He has not skimped on his research and I learned a great deal about Egyptian life and death and Victorian methods of archaeological excavation. The writing flows effortlessly and the climax and conclusion of this terrific story is surprising and memorable. Michael Gallagher is a gifted and skilled writer and I never would have thought that the adventures of a Victorian teenage girl, written by a middle aged Londoner could be so compelling. Sadly, I have no more books by this author left to read but I will be waiting eagerly for his next offering. If you enjoy historical mysteries, Michael Gallagher should definitely be on your list.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Scarab Heart.

Started Reading